Thursday, May 10, 2012


My husband, the Gardner... 

Rod has been studying and learning quite a bit about gardening these past few months. He regularly volunteers at a farm to gain first hand experience and tends to his very own beautiful little garden that is thriving (except the carrots, but seems like many people are having a hard time with them this season)! Last night we had a salad made of spinach and other tender greens from our very own garden. 

I do not believe if Rod were told a year ago he would be pursuing market gardening he would have believed you. He's following God's leading and its been my pleasure to watch as he grows.

Our pea trellis....

 Do you see the hoops? 

 Mmmm

Little bugs took a bite of our spinach,
Rod's figuring out what to do about them, 
without using chemicals, of course. : )

Cant not WAIT for the quinoa!

So cool

Using this black plastic to 
heat up the soil to plant watermelon!

A Gardner and his boy.

4 comments:

  1. tender greens is a gross word. .. more so tender, then greens.

    go rod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful!

    I am sad today because a big ol'groundhog ate ALL of my perfect broccoli, most of my nearly budding peas, and a bunch of my pickable collards. I've never wanted to kill a creature like i wanted to destroy him, who I saw, running from my beds, as i pulled up after a long day of work.

    So: beware of critters. They love our hard work, and don't know to leave our stuff alone and eat all the other amazing things out there that we humans aren't growing for ourselves!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, my heart goes out to you. If I were you I would have probably started crying and then googled "where to buy dynamite, philadelphia."

    There's a groundhog in my area I know I need to trap, but your comment reminded me of it. Did you have a fence? I dug the critter fence about 6 inches deep, but I am pretty sure most groundhogs would get through that with very little effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you CAN wait for the quinoa? Ha ha. JK

    ReplyDelete